loader image

Battery Status issue [Xubuntu, Linux]

What makes us different from other similar websites? Forums Tech Battery Status issue [Xubuntu, Linux]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thumbtak
    Keymaster

This works for Xubuntu, but may also work with other Debian based Linux distributions.

$ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install xfce4-battery-plugin

You will have to add the XFCE4 battery status to your panel and remove the other one you have. This can be done with a right-click.

thumbtak
    Keymaster

I noticed that this did not fully fix my issue. I found that it is something to do with “maybe” the BIOS that is causing the issue. To fix the issue, I had to go into Windows and uninstall the drivers for the battery. I did this by going into “Device Manager” and uninstalling them, then restarting. I had to restart in Windows, and for safe measure, I left it on Windows as it was charging. I did this for a few minutes. Did this fix the issue? It seems so, but more testing is needed.

thumbtak
    Keymaster

The above was only a temp fix and did not “fully” fix my issue. I fixed it by doing something that can be considered very stupid, but from my understandings, which I could be wrong, it had to do with the software controlling the BIOS in some way. This is how I fixed it.

1. Check if the MyAsus app is installed, on Windows. Yes, you need a Windows partition to fix a Linux issue, on an Asus computer. Stupid, I know.

2. Open the software and set it to Performance Mode. Know that this should not charge it to 100% as the battery will be not charge to 100% if you look at the battery status on Linux. Mine says it will only charge to 88%, but the charge level will show 100%. You never want to charge a battery to full, as that would be bad, for a few reasons. One of them is for battery longevity.

3. Restart the laptop, back into Windows.

4. Uninstall the MyAsus app, by clicking the “trash can” icon in the Windows applications menu.

5. Make sure it charges normal. Try unplugging it on Windows, and plugging it back in. If the status changes as expected, you are good. If not, restart the computer, and go back into Windows. Check the status again, if you need to.

6. Shut down the computer, not reboot, and go into Linux. After you do this, check the battery state. Make sure you leave the computer plugged in as you do this. If it shows as charging, unplug it and plug it in again. When you unplug it, the status should change. When you plug it back in, it should change again. The normal functions of the battery should be working, as intended.

7. Shut down the computer. Unplug the computer and turn the computer on.

8. Check the status of the computer’s battery on Linux and test the status changing, by plugging it back in. Unplug it, and plug it back in. Making sure to check if it is functioning as normal. If all functions as normal, let us know by leaving a comment.

Note: If you do not have an Asus laptop, find the tool that came with your laptop, that is similar, and do the same.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TAKs Shack